AS OF JANUARY 2019:
Please be patient with our staff during these initial weeks as we transition and adjust to the new system and procedures.
USE OF CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS –You now have the ability to use credit/debit cards at all of our concession stands, for pool and/or most recreation center entrance fees, facility rentals and registrations. We are able to offer this option for your convenience, however, there is a standard merchant fee that the card processing company charges that is applied to all card charges. This affects both on-site and payments made online. The convenience fee 2.65% per card transaction (for example: if you have a $10.00 purchase, the added fee will be .26 cents). When paying online with an e-check their is a 1.0% merchant fee. Accepted credit cards are: VISA, MasterCard, and Discover. This added fee does not impact any cash or check payments made.
REGISTRATIONS & FEES:
- Enrollment is on a first come first served basis.
- Refunds are only issued if we are unable to offer a league or program.
- There will be a $25 fee for all returned checks.
- You are paying for your child’s spot, not their attendance. No make-ups, refunds or credits will be given for missed classes.
- Please mark your calendar. No confirmation or reminders will be sent. You are only notified if there is a problem processing your registration or if class is cancelled.
- Registration forms and on-line registration clearly state registration deadlines.
- Late registrations for programs and leagues will be charged an additional $10 late fee (this includes Dance and Gymnastics).
- Our programs have minimum enrollment requirements that must be met in order to hold the class. Sometimes we have wonderful classes with excellent instructors cancelled because people wait to register. PLEASE DON’T WAIT TO REGISTER!
SPORT EVENT ADMISSIONS:
- Any sporting event held in the Recreation Center is subject to a $2 admission charge (unless otherwise advertised; a convenience fee will apply to any credit or debit cards).
PAVILION RESERVATION PROCEDURES:
- For January and February 2019, reservations can be made in-person ONLY. Starting March 1, 2019, you will also have the option to reserve and make your payment on our ONLINE!
- Pavilion rentals will now require full payment to be made AT THE TIME of reservation and payments cannot be accepted over the phone. We will no longer be accepting holds or bookings over the phone with payments being submitted at a later date.
- If you are out of town and cannot come in-person to make your reservation and payment, you should designate someone local to come into the office to handle the reservation and payment for you.
- Please retain your receipt and permit provided to you at the time of reservation and take it with you to the park on the day of your event.
- If you cancel inside of 60 days prior to your event, the full payment made is forfeited and no refund is available for any reason. NO RAIN DATES.
- If you need assistance, (if someone is using your pavilion) take your permit to the concession stand during our summer season and explain the situation to a park employee- they will assist you. If you have rented your pavilion in the off season of the summer please call the local non-emergency police line for assistance.
- You may decorate the pavilion on the day of your rental. USE TAPE OR STRING ONLY. Remove all signs and throw them in the trash at the end of your event.
POOL PARTY RESERVATION PROCEDURES:
- **For the month of April ONLY, we will allow you to make a reservation in-person at our Administrative Office (located at 273 Woodbury Avenue, Martinsburg, WV 25404) AND by phone. During this time, we will give a two-week grace period to make your payment. However, if payment is not made in full by the date indicated at the time of your booking, your reservation will be cancelled without further notice.
- **BEGINNING May 1, 2019 ALL pool party reservations can made in-person ONLY and payments will be required IN-FULL at the time of the reservation at our Administrative Office (address above).
- Online reservations will not be available for the 2019 pool season.
- If you are out of town and cannot come in-person to make your pool party reservation and payment, you should designate someone local to come into the office to handle the reservation and payment for you.
- Private Pool Party fees (for both pool facilities) is $120 per hour (minimum of 2 hours). This covers 100 people inside the fenced area, regardless if they are swimming or not. For rentals that exceed 100 guests, please see note additional fees that apply: 101-150 (add $20 per hour), 150-200 (additional $40 per hour). For groups larger than 200, your reservation this must be discussed with Administrative staff prior to booking. We require a head count at the time of booking to ensure we have the necessary number of lifeguards for the event. Failure to notify and pay for additional guests prior to the event will result in non-entry of those guests.
- If you cancel 30 days or more prior to your event, and an alternative date cannot be arranged, 50% of your payment will be forfeited and the remainder will be refunded.
- Cancellations made 30 days or less prior to your event will receive NO refunds.
- On the day of your event, we are unable to cancel or re-schedule your reservation due to severe weather no more than 1 hour in advance. If during your party there is a storm and the lifeguards remove you from the pool, you have the right to wait the required time before resuming to swim OR you can notify the lifeguards you wish to end your party and our office will contact you the next business day to discuss options (rescheduling remaining time of your party for another day or you can receive a partial refund based on time remaining, if applicable).
- No modifications (to include changing a date) can be made to an existing reservation. The only exception, which must be done more than 30 days prior to your event, is adding time to the end of your reservation, if available.
- You may not enter the pool area prior to your scheduled party time (i.e. to decorate). There is a short window between groups and our pool staff needs that time to clean and prep for incoming guests.
- You may decorate the pavilion in the pool area on the day of your rental. USE TAPE OR STRING ONLY. Remove all signs and throw them in the trash at the end of your event.
- You may bring outside food and drinks. NO alcohol or glass permitted. You may bring your own grill, but it is to be kept in the grassy area.
- Alcohol and smoking/tobacco is not permitted inside the pool area or on park property.
- All of our parks are tobacco and alcohol-free.
- The M-BCP&R is not responsible for lost, late or misdirected mail.
- Our staff works very hard to maintain the beauty of our parks and to keep them clean. This is an ongoing project because so many people utilize the facilities every day. Please clean the area in and around the pavilion before you leave. Report any vandalism to a park employee or call our office.
- Metal Detecting is NOT ALLOWED in any of our public parks.
WINTER WEATHER-RELATED DELAY AND CLOSURE POLICIES:
In the event of inclement weather, we do not follow Berkeley County Schools procedures, but we do take them into consideration when making decisions about opening our office and/or holding activities. This is our standard operating procedure, however, we always advise that you check our website and Facebook page for additional information and any possible changes:
- When Berkeley Co. Schools are on a TWO-HOUR DELAY (for inclement weather/hazardous road conditions), our Administrative Offices (to include Gymnastics) will open at 10:00AM. Any activities held at the Recreation Centers before 10:00AM are held at the discretion of each instructor.
- When Berkeley Co. Schools are CLOSED, our Administrative Offices (to include Gymnastics) will plan to OPEN at 12:00 Noon. Depending on the weather situation occurring at time, we will evaluate the conditions and may determine to remain closed for the day. All activities before 12:00 Noon will NOT be held. Any activities held after 12:00 Noon will only be held if our facilities remain open.
- Anytime Berkeley Co. Schools are CLOSED or cancel evening activities in their facilities, M-BCP&R is required to cancel any programs or activities that are held at school facilities. This does not affect activities at our Recreation Center facilities, unless otherwise notified.
OTHER GENERAL INFORMATION:
- The M-BCP&R reserves the right to take pictures at all events and programs. Pictures may be displayed in future Parks & Recreation brochures and publications.
SWIMMING POOL SAFETY:
- Lightning’s behavior is random and unpredictable. We recommend a very conservative attitude towards it. Preparedness and quick responses are the best defenses towards the lightning hazard.
- Swimming pools are connected to a much larger surface area via underground water pipes, gas lines, electric and telephone wiring, etc. Lightning strikes to the ground anywhere on this metallic network may induce shocks elsewhere.
- The National Lightning Safety Institute recommends the following swimming pool safety procedures:
- Designate a responsible person as the weather safety lookout. That person should keep an eye on the weather. Use a “weather radio” or the Weather Channel or other TV program to obtain good localized advanced weather information.
- When thunder and/or lightning are first noticed, use the Flash-To-Bang (F-B) method to determine its’ rough distance and speed. This technique measures the time from seeing lightning to hearing associated thunder. For each five seconds from F-B, lightning is one mile away. Thus, a F-B of 10 = 2 miles; 15 = 3 miles; 20 = 4 miles; etc. At a F-B count of thirty, the pool should be evacuated. People should be directed to safe shelter nearby.
- Pool activities should remain suspended until thirty minutes after the last thunder is heard. The distance from Strike A to Strike B to Strike C can be some 5-8 miles away. And it can strike much farther away. Why take a chance with lightning?
- Teach this safety slogan: “IF YOU CAN SEE IT, FLEE IT; IF YOU CAN HEAR IT, CLEAR IT.”